All accountants and their clients have at least a basic understanding of the new Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that will come into effect from 25 May 2018.
Here we present some more tips to aid data protection compliance by the 25 May deadline.
Handling information from clients for their personal information (subject access requests)
Do your staff know:
- That people have a right to have a copy of the personal information you hold?
- How to recognise a subject access request?
- To whom to pass it, if it is not their responsibility to answer?
- That the firm currently has a maximum of 40 days at present, to respond, reducing to 30 days on 25 May?
- That the maximum fee that can be charged is €6.35 now, but this will fall to zero on 25 May 2018?
- That they may need to check the identity of the requester?
- For more practical hints and tips on data protection and to get you started on your preparations for 25 May, please come to one of our series of courses on the ‘General Data Protection Regulation – What Accountants Need to Know’at the Talbot Hotel, Stillorgan, County Dublinon one of the following dates:
Wednesday 21 March 2018 10am to 1pm
Wednesday 18 April 2018 2pm to 5pm
For more information on our other upcoming courses click here